I did it again. I am a firm believer that cupcakes have a slight tackiness to them (I swear it’s the only thing I have a strong opinion on) but yet I can’t stop baking them. Hypocrite maybe?
Anyway I have made these carrot cake style cupcakes which are delicious might I say, although they may look slightly messy by the photo. Isla and Harry look very proud though! This recipe contains no nuts but obviously you can add them if you wish and I was forced to add cinnamon to the recipe instead of five spice as the five spice here in Germany has the most overwhelming star anise flavouring. Here’s the recipe and tweet me any photo’s if you make your own!
175g white sugar
200g self raising flour (or if you live somewhere where it isn’t available, yep those places exist!, then add 2 heaped teaspoons of baking powder to your plain flour)
2 carrots (grated)
2 tsp of cinammon
1 tsp vanilla essence
Cream Cheese Frosting
200g Full fat cream cheese
70g icing sugar
1tbsp of softened butter
1) Preheat oven to 180C. Beat the sugar and eggs together until it makes a creamy, milkshake like consistency, then add the oil and mix well.
2) Add the flour, carrot, cinnamon and vanilla essence and mix together.
3) Put them in your muffin case in a cupcake tray and then cook for 15 minutes or when you can pierce the cake with something sharp and the needle comes out clean.
4) Let the cakes cool and make your icing by slowly mixing together all the ingredients and then going faster to get out any butter lumps. Sometimes it is better to make your icing at the start and then refrigerate it so it is thick and cool when it goes on your cakes.
5) Dare I say more? Ice those cakes and eat!